Friday, June 17, 2011

East Anglia

My boys, gotta love em'
Lakenheath, where I currently reside, is in East Anglia. It is so fun to say "Anglia" and it sounds so pretty. And it is soooo beautiful here. The rolling hills, green fields, stone homes and tall trees are so picturesque.

Every little town like, Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Ely, Brandon... all have their own stone churches that look ancient. It's so cool. They all have little graveyards with mossy and lopsided old stone tombstones. I am so tempted to pull over and run into the cemetery and just see if I can read how old one of them is. This is in Eriswell.

One of the many stone cottages in the little villages. I would feel completely transported into one of my Jane Austen novels if it weren't for the cars that are parked everywhere. Did you know they park their cars on the streets so that they completely block your lane  and you can park on any side of the road facing any which way. Its very confusing. 

Yes, that is a legitimate thatched roof. Crazy huh? 
 Its been almost a full work week since we've arrived. We've had the chance to drive around and look at a few houses. Apparently they raise the prices on homes to let that are around the base. Especially if you are an American. We got to see one home that the tenant showed for us and gave us some inside information. He is also in the military. The two homes next to his with 4 bedrooms are currently being let to a Brit for 700 pounds a month. The home we looked at was a 3 bedroom home and it was listed at 1075 pounds a month. What a difference in price eh?

So I just had a terrifying experience. I was driving on base in our...NEW CAR!! Well...technically not new but new to us. It is a Toyota, steering wheel on the right side and its a different model but basically like a Camry but with leather seats. Its nice. We got it for 1550 dollars, not pounds but dollars. We feel so lucky we found it. Definitely an answer to our prayers. But I was driving it back and I couldn't figure out why this guy was driving in my lane. We were getting closer and closer and he wasn't figuring it out. Then I realized I was driving on the right side, not the left!! I seriously ducked my head and made sure not to make eye contact with the other driver. SOOOO embarrasing.
I constantly have to chant to myself, "left side, left side, left side...." or else I get confused.

We got new iphone 4s!! Yay! I took this video of Matty driving in a roundabout.

So Matt has been going to all of these classes and briefings to get him all set at this base. Today I got to go to one with Ty who has been wonderful except for the fact that he has a cold. So I was at this class with Ty and he starts pushing and farting and making lots of bowel noises. Also, you know when they push out the poop and you hear it shoot out and fill their diaper? He did that like 4 times in this 30 minute class. It was really akward for me to leave so I was just trying not to hold him on his bottom or let him sit down. But then he got fussy and I had to pick him up and hold him in the back of the room. The class ends and I look at the back of his cute sleeper and he's had a blowout. Here is a pic of his first blowout in England. We're excited to see more houses and continue to explore. We love it here!!!

Laying there as I grab wipes, stuff for a bath and his new clothes.
A pic from behind. it was much darker in real life and had seeped out of the sides of the diaper as well.       




No comments:

Post a Comment